Monday 11 October 2010

My Artist Date

Hi and thanks for popping in.

Last Friday I took myself off to the National Gallery of Victoria to view the European Masters Exhibition before it goes back to its home. I must say that I was just awestruck by the early masters paintings, the realism, the mood they captured, the glow they had in their paintings was incredible. I have only seen photos of these before and to see them up close was a real treat.

 Here is a shot looking down the Yarra River from Princess Bridge.

And another looking down Swanston Street.I love the sight of contemporary buildings beside the old St Pauls Cathedral and Flinders Street station.

Here is the front of the National Gallery of Victoria. The glass wall with the blue writing on it is actually a waterwall, very effective.


After catching the tram to the Carlton Exhibition Buildings I stopped in a the Craft Expo and called in to see Anna who had just finished demonstrating at a booth there. We had a great time shopping, watching demonstrations, shopping, looking at new products and shopping and buying things like............


 These lovely butterfly paper cutouts

Some more great stamps


 Some paper kits 

and a journal handbag and ATC box
And some paper cutouts that i will use as stencils.

After I had spent all my money I was booked in to see the movie about a expedition to the Titanic at the IMAX theatre. It was in 3d and was fascinating to see the places they can now get their cameras in to.  After the movie I was booked in to see the Titanic Artifacts exhibition at the Melbourne Museum. I had about an hour before I could go in so I went to have a look in the rest of the museum. I am ashamed to say that after living in Melbourne for 23 years this is the first time I had been there. I walked around the rainforest exhibition and the Melbourne history exhibition which were both great. I will definitely be going back again to see it in more detail. 

Here are just a couple of things I saw - some textile designs

 Some beautiful lead lighting and some pieces that you vintage girls will love.

After that it was on to the Titanic exhibition
I have always been fascinated by anything to do with the Titanic so I have been looking forward to seeing the exhibition for a while.

I absolutely loved my day in the city and will definitely be making it a regular occurrence. Isn't it funny that it seems the city where you live you generally see the least of. I suppose you take it for granted that you can go anytime you want but in reality you spend time going on holidays everywhere else but near home. 

I know I promised details of my weekend but the light is too bad now for good photos of what I was up to so will post them in the morning.

Sweet dreams and good night everyone

Namaste
Lee

4 comments:

Anna Rosa Designs said...

Hi Lee,
Hm, I should join you in visiting our wonderful city and get out and about more often!
Maybe its our age~lol
Hugs,
Anna

Creative Gypsy said...

Hi Lee,
I went to the Craft Expo too. It would have been lovely to catch up with you - maybe next time?
;)

Tyggereye said...

Wow that sounds like a great time. I love Titanic stuff too. That would be so neat to go see that movie. I'll have to see if they do something similar around here eventually. Great stuff you got!

Wini said...

Hi Lee, Its great to hear that you enjoyed your day! I also went to the Stadel Exhibition and agree it was fantastic!! I missed the Craft Expo so its great to see the lovely goodies you picked up. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the Titanic exhibition. I love Melbourne City. Its so vibrant and there's so much to see and do!! Wini xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails